Prepared in a flavorful yogurt marinade, these oven baked chicken kabobs are juicy, tender, and loaded with irresistible flavors. Made with simple ingredients, these kabobs make for an easy and healthy dinner that’s perfect for any occasion.
Delicious oven baked chicken kabobs!
Chicken kabobs (also known as chicken kebabs or kabab) are one of my favorite dishes to make at home for multiple reasons.
Not only are they quick & easy to prepare, they are versatile enough to be served for any occasion, and makes for a flavorful source of protein that pairs well with a wide variety of side dishes to make a delicious, well balanced meal.
Rooted in Middle Eastern cuisine, kabobs signify various dishes of meat, fish, and/or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer, which has claimed popularity all across the world with different variations of the dish.
When I first shared these baked chicken kabobs served over garlic turmeric rice on Instagram, I received an influx of replies which made it my top priority to share my easy kabobs recipe for you to enjoy.
These kabobs are marinated in yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and a mix of Middle Eastern spices to tenderize and flavor the chicken overnight, to be baked in the oven for easy cleanup.
Best of all, these oven chicken kebabs are so simple to prepare and are truly one of the best ways to make the juiciest, most tender chicken, thanks to the yogurt marinade.
The ultimate yogurt marinade
Having a tub of yogurt is essential in my kitchen as it is perfect for adding a tang to a variety of my meals, but one of its greatest uses is to use it as a marinade for chicken.
Aside from making the chicken flavorful, the lactic acid and calcium in yogurt work to tenderize the chicken and help keep it moist while it cooks, even over high direct heat.
This makes yogurt the ideal marinade to use when cooking in high temperatures, such as on the grill or in the oven, giving the kabobs that beautiful char whilst maintaining that perfectly tender and juicy texture on each bite.
What do I need to make chicken kabobs?
This chicken kabob recipe is often my go-to on the weekdays due to its simplicity, but as it also calls for ingredients that are easily found in your kitchen. Here are all the ingredients you will need:
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: you can also use chicken breast upon preference, but I highly recommend using thighs as it results in juicier and more flavorful kabobs.
- Red onion, red and green bell pepper: added to the skewers for additional flavor. Please feel free to add or substitute with any other vegetables of choice!
- Plain yogurt: 2% or whole-milk plain yogurt (without any flavoring) will work best for this recipe.
- You may use greek yogurt as well, but it will need to be diluted a bit with a little water or milk to ensure that it properly coats the chicken.
- Olive oil + lemon juice: to add additional flavor and moisture to the chicken.
- Garlic: for that delicious garlicky flavor.
- Tomato paste, paprika, oregano, cumin, salt, and black pepper: to season the marinade.
- Fresh parsley: optional, for garnish
And that’s it! All the ingredients you’ll need to make chicken kabobs in the comfort of your home.
How to cook chicken kabobs in oven or grill
Although kabobs are traditionally cooked on a grill, it’s not the most accessible method for everyone which is why I will be sharing both options for you to choose from.
Cooking chicken kabobs in oven also creates less mess, ensuring easy cleanup after the kabobs are done cooking, which is especially helpful for the weekdays.
To cook your kabobs in the oven:
Simply line your baking sheet with aluminum foil or any broiler-safe material, then cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through at 450°F (or 230°C).
Make sure to flip the kabobs halfway through to ensure the chicken is evenly cooked, and finish on broil for that beautiful char.
To cook your kabobs on the grill:
Preheat, grease, and grill the kabobs until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes.
What to serve with chicken kabobs
One of the best things about chicken kabobs is how versatile they are, as they are a flavorful source of protein that pairs well with practically any side dish that you can think of.
Here are some of my favorite side dishes to serve with chicken kabobs:
- Rice: I highly recommend serving this over a steamy bowl of garlic turmeric rice, as the buttery aromas of the rice perfectly complement the kabobs into an incredibly satisfying meal.
- Coconut rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice are also great options.
- Naan: pita bread, or dinner rolls. A plate of warm bread also makes for a wonderful side dish to some freshly cooked kabobs. You really can’t go wrong with bread!
- Salad: I love serving chicken kabobs with either alongside a bowl of mixed salad or a Persian salad seasoned with some olive oil, lime juice, dried mint, salt, and black pepper.
- Garlic yogurt: yogurt sauce makes for a perfect addition to your kabobs, and can be served with all three options above.
- To make the garlic yogurt sauce: simply combine 1/2 cup greek yogurt, a dash of olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
All of these side dishes will perfectly pair with your chicken kabobs to make up a satisfying meal that is full of flavors, well-balanced, and hearty.
If you are serving to multiple guests, I highly recommend preparing all the options above for the guests to have a variety of options to choose from!
Food always tastes better with good company and good conversation, and these chicken kabobs are the perfect crowd-pleaser that caters to a variety of different palates.
Best of all, they are so simple to make and can be a great activity amongst guests to prepare together as well.
And that’s it! Super simple, easy kabobs in the comfort of your home.
I hope these oven chicken kebabs brightens up your week, and please do leave me a comment below or send me a message on Instagram if you have any questions. Happy cooking everyone!
Other easy Dinner recipes you may like:
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Italian Meatballs
- Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Shrimp Rose Pasta
- Garlic Chill Oil Noodles
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Watch how to make it:
Easy Baked Chicken Kabobs
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup red onion and bell pepper or any vegetables of choice, optional
- garlic turmeric rice naan or salad, to serve
- fresh parsley, lemon, and/or yogurt sauce to serve, optional
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken, red onion, and bell peppers, and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (or 230°C). Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil or any broiler-safe material (for grilling instructions, please see the notes below).
- Thread the chicken and vegetables onto skewers, and bake for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through and golden brown, flipping the skewers halfway through.
- Switch the oven to broil for about 2-3 minutes for a lightly charred finish. Garnish and serve with a side of rice, naan, and/or salad. Enjoy!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!