This melt-in-your-mouth Cheese Hamburg Steak is filled with melted mozzarella cheese and smothered in a savory gravy with caramelized onions and mushrooms. Served with a side of grilled vegetables and mashed potatoes, this dish makes for a perfect dinner to treat your loved ones.
Hamburg Steak with Mozzarella Cheese
Hamburg steak, which marks its origins in Germany, has become a mainstream dish worldwide and most notably in Korea and Japan. It is a perfect way to dress up a pound of ground beef and uses only ingredients that you most likely have in your kitchen.
Although there are many renditions of the dish, my ultimate favorite is my mom’s recipe, which is filled with mozzarella cheese to complement the juicy beef patty. The tenderness of the meat packed with mozzarella cheese is a heavenly combination that instantly melts in your mouth.
Hope you enjoy this recipe, please leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions!
Other Korean recipes you may like:
- Korean Marinated Eggs (Mayak Eggs)
- Kimchi Fried Rice with Tuna
- Korean Egg Drop Sandwich
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Tteokbokki (Korean Spicy Rice Cakes)
- Korean Seafood Pancake (Haemul Pajeon)
Hamburg Steak with Melted Cheese
- 300 grams ground beef mix in minced pork if desired (1:1 ratio)
- 1/2 white onion sliced
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 3 cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp butter
- olive oil for frying
- shredded mozzarella cheese for filling
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper ground
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp katsu sauce substitute with Worcestershire sauce if necessary
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut mushrooms in thick slices. Slice half of the onion, and chop the other half in small chunks.
- Lightly oil the skillet on medium heat. Insert chopped onions and season with salt and pepper. Stir fry until translucent and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl mix together ground beef, seasoning ingredients, and cooked onions and mix well. Split into 4 patties. Flatten each patty, insert mozzarella cheese and roll into a flat ball shape. Push the center of the patty slightly inwards for even cooking.
- Prepare some oil in a skillet on medium heat, and cook both sides of the patties, flipping occasionally. Once they have browned, adjust the heat to low and cover the skillet, cooking gently until the insides are fully cooked.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat, insert sliced onion and mushroom and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Insert sauce ingredients and boil gently until it becomes a thick consistency.
- Plate the hamburg steak and pour the sauce on top. Serve with grilled vegetables, mashed potatoes and/or rice on the side.