This Japanese Chicken Katsu Curry dish makes for the ultimate weeknight meal as tender pieces of chicken come together in a rich savory curry sauce. Make this comforting meal today with this simple and delicious recipe!
Chicken Katsu Curry – a match made in heaven
One of the first recipes I’ve shared on my blog was Chicken Katsu – which is easily one of my favorite recipes to this day. Although Chicken Katsu can be enjoyed with homemade katsu sauce, it can also be perfectly paired with some flavourful and hearty Japanese curry. Katsu curry is the ultimate comfort dish if you are craving for a big meal, as the curry base itself can be enjoyed alone with its hearty components, but in this case, complemented with perfectly tender pieces of chicken. Here’s what you will need to prepare this classic dish:
- A box of Japanese curry (I’ve used this Kokumaro brand for this particular recipe)
- Onion, carrot, potato, and stewing beef chopped in small pieces for the curry
- Large chicken breast, to be breaded with flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs (can also be substituted with pork loin or tenderloin based on preference)
- Cooked white rice to be served as the base
Tips for easy preparation
This dish is compromised of two separate components, which can definitely be prepared in advance. Oftentimes when I decide to make this dish is when I have curry leftover from previous meal preps, either in the fridge or in the freezer – as Japanese curry can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Upon making the dish, I would start by defrosting the curry and letting it simmer in a saucepan while preparing the chicken katsu which only takes a few minutes to prepare. Please be advised to keep a close eye on the curry in the process, as it can burn easily without a careful stir. Another option would be to microwave the sauce, which works well as well.
If you are a fan of Japanese curry and/or chicken katsu, I would strongly recommend giving this combination a try! It’s absolutely delicious and makes for a satisfying meal at any time of the day. I hope you enjoy this recipe, and please leave me a comment below or send me a message on Instagram if you have any questions!
Other Japanese recipes you may be interested in:
- Simple Sukiyaki Beef Udon
- Omurice (Japanese Omelette Rice)
- Hamburg Steak with Melted Cheese
- Easy Homemade Katsu Sauce
Chicken Katsu Curry
Japanese Curry Sauce
- 1/2 box Japanese curry mix
- 150 g stewing beef sub with pork or chicken if preferred
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 potato chopped
- 1/2 carrot chopped
- 2 large chicken breast sub with pork loin or tenderloin based on preference
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 2 servings cooked white rice
- parsley for garnishing
- Cook the Japanese curry according to package instructions.
- Pound the chicken to an even thickness, approximately 1/2" thick, then season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the flour, egg and panko crumbs into separate shallow dishes.
- Coat the chicken pieces with flour, egg, and bread crumbs in order, making sure each side is evenly coating, shaking off any excess. Set aside for 10 minutes before frying.
- Prepare at least 2 inches of oil in a large skillet (or a deep fryer) on medium heat. Once the oil reaches 350°F, cook 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Assemble one serving each of cooked rice, curry, and pieces of chicken katsu. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!