This Easy Chicken Pad Thai can be made within minutes using only one skillet. Each bite is packed with chicken, vegetables, scrambled eggs, and rice noodles coated in a rich and flavorful sauce, which makes up for an incredibly satisfying meal. Make this quick and delicious recipe today in the comfort of your home!
What is Pad Thai?
Pad Thai is a stir-fry dish made with rice noodles with your choice of protein (chicken, shrimp, or tofu), which is complemented with bean sprouts, scrambled eggs, topped with chopped peanuts.
Each bite is packed with these delicious ingredients which are coated in a delicious Pad Thai sauce, which is the perfect balance of sweet, sour, and savory. Everything combined together creates a wonderful burst of umami flavor that makes the dish to be so addictive and satisfying.
I’ve shared a shrimp version of this recipe at the start of the blog, which can be found here.
Better-Than-Takeout Pad Thai ✨
Growing up in a small town, there was one local Thai restaurant that my family would go to named Ben Thanh, which was easily one of our favorite restaurants to visit as a family.
We would often choose between Pho and Pad Thai, but my preferred choice was most often their Pad Thai, as the dish was always so flavorful and satisfying.
Pad Thai is definitely one of my favorite dishes of all time. Due to its simplicity and taste, it’s also a dish I make often for my guests, as it’s a definite crowd-pleaser amongst guests of all ethnicities.
Please note that this recipe is based on the “Americanized” version of the dish I grew up on, which is made with a base of ketchup instead of Tamarind. It tastes similar to most take-out joints in North America, and the signature sweet-savory-sour sauce is an absolute delight.
If you wish to make it the authentic way, you can try substituting the Ketchup for Tamarind puree and reducing the amount of sugar and lime juice.
How do you make Chicken Pad Thai?
I absolutely love making easy meals throughout the week, and this is a dish that I make often to treat myself after a long day, as well as for my weekly meal prep. It requires only a few simple ingredients, and the process is quick and easy despite its delicious taste.
Here are the main ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Flat rice noodles, similar to this kind. Prior to stir-frying, these noodles are to be prepared to al-dente and rinsed to prevent sticking.
- Chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Eggs, to be scrambled and mixed into the noodles
- Garlic, bean sprouts, and green onions, and any other vegetables of your choice.
- Popular additions include tofu, red bell pepper, carrots, and onions.
- Chopped peanuts, extra green onions, cilantro, and/or lime for serving
To make preparation easier, I highly recommend using a non-stick wok like this to ease your cooking process. This is an essential cookware to use for any stir-fry dishes, including this one. A wok distributes heat very evenly on the entire surface, and the curvature allows the food to be tossed around without causing a mess.
How do you make Pad Thai sauce from scratch?
The true highlight of this recipe is the flavorful sauce that will wrap all the ingredients together to create a perfect balance of flavor.
Rest assured, the ingredients are simple and easy to find in your pantry. Here are the following ingredients you will need to make the sauce from scratch:
- Lime juice
- Tomato ketchup
- Fish sauce
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar, or regular white Sugar
- Peanut butter
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Simple, right? Those are the only ingredients you will need to make an entire batch of Pad Thai, all in the comfort of your home. Pad Thai is best served warm, topped with some chopped peanuts and cilantro, and/or lime wedges to give it an extra kick.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- Korean Shrimp Burger
- Korean Marinated Eggs (Mayak Eggs)
- Easy Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Omurice (Japanese Omelette Rice)
Easy Chicken Pad Thai
- 5 oz rice noodles
- 2 tbsp cooking oil divided
- 1 large chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions chopped
- chopped peanuts, green onions, cilantro, and/or lime slices for garnish
Pad Thai Sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or white sugar
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Prepare rice noodles according to package instructions, just until tender. Rinse under cold water to prevent sticking. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients.
- Cook the chicken in a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, stirring until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same preheated skillet, lightly oil the surface, crack the eggs and scramble until cooked through. Add noodles, bean sprouts, and chicken to the pan. Add the prepared sauce on top and toss everything to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the green onions. Serve warm topped with chopped cilantro, green onions, peanuts, and/or slices of lime as desired. Enjoy!