Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry is a simple yet delicious classic dish that can be made easily in under 10 minutes! This satisfying dish combines tomatoes and fluffy scrambled eggs coated in a sweet and savory sauce. Served alongside a bowl of steamed rice, this recipe makes for a perfect comfort meal for the busier days.
The ultimate meal for the busy days
Tomatoes and eggs are truly a match made in heaven. There are many dishes that incorporate these two golden ingredients, but my personal favorite way to cook this combination is this exact dish.
This stir fry dish is easily one of my favorite dishes in Chinese cuisine, and one that I make often throughout the week as it is light enough to be served as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Its flavor notes and scrumptious texture is so satisfying and addicting, and I guarantee that you will be hooked on the first bite as I did!
This dish incorporates juicy tomatoes and fluffy scrambled eggs, fragranced with a touch of onion, green onion, and garlic, which is then wrapped around in a sweet and savory sauce that perfectly complements a bowl of fresh rice.
One of the best parts of this recipe is its sheer simplicity, made within a few minutes in just one pan only. Who doesn’t like having fewer dishes to manage? Especially for the busy weekdays, this is my go-to recipe, as it is perfectly satisfying and comforting to serve on its own.
Not to mention, this dish is packed with nutrients and definitely is one of the healthy dishes that taste just as amazing as those guilty pleasures. Truly heaven on a plate!
How do you make Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry?
This recipe is close to the authentic recipe but simplified to call for the critical components only, without sacrificing the taste. Here is a simple list of ingredients you will need:
- Large eggs and tomatoes, which are the main components of this recipe
- Onion, green onion, and garlic for the extra flavor and fragrance
- Soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and a pinch of black pepper to make up for the sauce
And that’s it! With these simple ingredients handy as well as a few minutes, you can make this dish easy to serve right away to fulfill your cravings.
Cooking tips and tricks
Although this recipe is so easy to follow, there are definitely a few tips that will help ease your cooking process. Here are some tips and tricks on making the best Tomato and Egg Stir Fry:
- Prepare by mixing the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl, as well as beating the eggs first prior to stir-frying.
- Stir fry dishes are meant to be quick and seamless and preparing these two components in advance will make your process a lot easier!
- If you prefer the tomatoes to be extra tender, you can optionally peel the skin by cutting a small cross on each tomato and boiling them for about a minute. Transfer them into a bowl of cold water, and the skin will easily peel off.
- I highly recommend using a non-stick wok like this to ease your cooking process.
- This is essential cookware to use for any stir-fry dishes, including this one. A wok distributes heat very evenly on the entire surface, and the curvature allows the food to be tossed around without causing a mess.
To see all the kitchen tools and tableware I use on a daily basis, I’ve recently listed an updated list of my kitchen tools and gadgets, which you can check them out here.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions. Happy cooking!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- Kimchi Fried Rice with Tuna
- Easy Shrimp Pad Thai
- One Pan Chicken Chow Mein
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Thai Crab Fried Rice
- Easy Chicken Teriyaki
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 2 large tomatoes cut into 8 wedges
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 1 green onion chopped and divided
- 2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp cooking oil divided
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- pinch of black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and a pinch of black pepper. Combine well and set aside. Beat eggs in a medium bowl and add salt to taste.
- Preheat a wok over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and immediately add the eggs. Scramble the eggs until just set, about 40 seconds. Pour the eggs back into the mixing bowl, and wipe out the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil back into the wok and turn the heat to medium-high heat. Add garlic, green onion (white parts), and onion, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomato and seasoning, and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens to your liking. Stir in egg and mix together. Add more salt if needed, garnish with the rest of the green onion, and serve immediately with a side of steamed rice.