This easy creamy cajun chicken pasta is loaded with tender pieces of chicken tossed in a rich tomato cream sauce spiced with cajun to give you a burst of flavor in every bite. Best of all, this spicy chicken pasta comes together quickly with just a few ingredients, making it the ultimate comfort meal for the weekdays.
What is creamy cajun chicken pasta?
This creamy cajun chicken pasta is, and will forever be, the pasta of my dreams.
It combines everything I love and more in a single dish – juicy and tender pieces of chicken and rigatoni pasta coated in an intensely flavorful & rich tomato cream sauce, made to perfection with a kick of spice from the cajun seasoning.
Pasta is often my go-to choice for the weekdays considering its ease of preparation and scrumptious taste, and this cajun pasta is truly so simple to make with irresistible flavors to pamper your tastebuds.
Best of all, this cajun chicken pasta recipe calls for simple ingredients that are commonly found in your kitchen, as well as cajun seasoning to spice things up.
Cajun seasoning is one of my favorite ingredients in the kitchen as it brings together all the core flavor notes (savory, spicy, zesty) to elevate your dish to the next level, including this spicy chicken pasta.
For those of you who don’t have any cajun seasoning at hand, please do not worry as I am also sharing my homemade cajun seasoning recipe that can be whipped up in just 5 minutes using commonly used spices from your pantry.
Best of all, when you are making your own spice mix, you can adjust the sodium and heat level to your preference and add your own personal touch. Moreover, homemade cajun seasoning will last up to a whole year in your pantry without any preservatives which surely is a bonus.
If you’re a fan of bold flavors in your food, having a bottle of cajun seasoning adds so much convenience to your cooking sessions to have as it adds a delicious kick of spice to just about anything from chicken to seafood, veggies, soups, stir fries, or sauces to bring your dish to the next level.
What do I need to make creamy cajun chicken pasta?
This cajun chicken pasta recipe calls for only a handful of ingredients to make, which often makes it my go-to choice for dinner. Here is all the ingredients you will need:
- Olive oil + butter: to marinate the chicken, as well as to sauté the aromatic vegetables.
- Pasta: of your choice. I used rigatoni as it does wonders in soaking up all the sauce, but any type of pasta including spaghetti or penne will work for this recipe.
- Chicken breast: chicken thighs will work as well, but this chicken breast pasta recipe will yield such juicy, tender pieces of chicken that you won’t be able to tell the difference.
- Cajun seasoning: to spice up the dish. You can use your favorite store-bought seasoning, but I highly recommend using my easy homemade cajun seasoning for the best results.
- Garlic, onion, and red bell pepper: for the aromatics. Please feel free to substitute the bell pepper with other vegetables or mushrooms to your preference.
- Crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, and chicken broth: to make the rich tomato cream sauce. Both homemade or store-bought chicken broth will work for this recipe.
- Parmesan cheese: to add to the creamy base of the sauce. Using real parmigiano reggiano will yield the best results!
- Red pepper flakes and parsley: optional garnish.
And there you have it, all the ingredients you will need to make your own restaurant-quality cajun pasta!
As many of you may agree, the best part about cooking at home is that you can cater the dish to your taste without any limitations.
For this dish, I made sure to add enough chicken to have it in every bite of your pasta and enough sauce to coat the whole dish in the spicy cream sauce.
To add to that, this chicken breast pasta is so unbelievably tender and flavorful I guarantee you will be hooked on your first bite, to add your weekly rotation of dinner recipes.
I hope you enjoy this creamy cajun chicken pasta recipe, and as usual, please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram with any questions you may have. Happy cooking everyone!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 15-Minute Shrimp Rose Pasta
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Italian Meatballs
- Creamy Mushroom Miso Udon
- 15-Minute Spaghetti Aglio E Olio (Garlic Pasta)
Easy Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil to marinate the chicken, plus more for frying
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast sliced into 4 thin pieces
- 7 oz rigatoni or your choice of pasta
- 1 1/2 tbsp homemade cajun seasoning or store-bought, divided
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream or evaporated milk for a low-fat option
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- red pepper flakes and parsley optional, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, add chicken, olive oil, and 1 tbsp cajun seasoning. Massage with your hands to coat evenly and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Cook pasta to about 1 minute shy of the total cook time. While your pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium heat, drizzle in some oil, and cook your chicken for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add butter and sauté onion and garlic, followed by the bell pepper. Add crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, chicken broth, 1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning, and parmesan, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Stir in your pasta and half of the chicken sliced into bite-sized pieces. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the pasta is tender, and season with salt to taste.
- Serve each bowl of pasta with the remaining chicken on top, and garnish with red pepper flakes and parsley. Enjoy!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!