Nothing beats a bowl of creamy potato soup that is full of warmth, comfort, and flavor. With only a few ingredients this soup comes together quickly on the stovetop. Load it up with all your favorite toppings for the ultimate comfort food!
Creamy Potato Soup
Potato soup can be made in various ways – loaded, brothy, or creamy. in this particular recipe, I like to puree the cooked potatoes, onions, and milk together to achieve a silky smooth consistency.
To add rich flavor to the soup, adding half a chicken stock cube and Swiss cheddar cheese adds pure magic to the mix. Finish off with your favorite toppings, in my case cheddar cheese, parsley, and fresh homemade croutons.
- To make homemade croutons, add some cut bread pieces into cubes and coat with some olive oil, garlic powder, and salt to taste. Bake for 10 minutes in 375°F.
In regards to the potatoes, I highly suggest using waxy potatoes that are high in moisture and low in starch that make a perfect texture for blending into pure creaminess. Red skin potatoes, new potatoes, and Yukon Gold potatoes all fall into this category.
Hope you enjoy this simple and delightful potato soup recipe!
Have any questions about the recipe? Please leave a comment below or message me on Instagram!
Other easy Brunch recipes you may like:
- Shakshuka (Eggs in Hell)
- Strawberry Sando (Japanese Fruit Sandwich)
- Classic Eggs Benedict
- Korean Egg Drop Sandwich
Creamy Potato Soup
- 3 medium-sized potatoes rinsed and peeled
- 1/2 white onion sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 chicken bouillon cube or 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- salt, pepper, and parsley to taste
- cheddar cheese shredded, for garnish
- croutons homemade or store-bought
- Cut the potatoes in half and add into a pot of boiling water. Boil for 10-15 minutes until they are fully cooked.
- On a separate pot, melt the butter on medium heat and cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the cooked potatoes and 1/2 cup of milk and blend all the ingredients with an immersion blender (you could also use a countertop blender). Once blended, add the rest of the milk (1 1/2 cups) and bring to a boil.
- Stir in chicken bouillon cube and simmer to your preferred consistency, and add salt, pepper, and pasley to taste.
- Once prepared, transfer into a bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese, croutons, and parsley and serve immediately.