This Dalgona Matcha Latte recipe uses three simple ingredients to make a creamy and comforting drink with an ultra-fluffy texture you will instantly fall in love with. This drink is a spin-off on the ever-popular Dalgona Coffee, which replaces the coffee with whipped matcha foam – that is both aesthetically pleasing and absolutely delicious. Make this easy drink in less than 10 minutes today to add to your morning routine.
Dalgona Whipped Coffee: an evergrowing global trend
As the Dalgona trend continues to take over the Internet, there has been an explosion of interest in my Dalgona Whipped Coffee recipe which I posted about a week ago. This global food trend, which originates from South Korea, has inspired people all over the world to become creative with their own at-home beverages, occupying us with a fun activity to indulge in while we do our part in supporting the stay-at-home movement.
The original recipe for Dalgona coffee calls for instant coffee, sugar, and water, to be mixed together to create a whipped cream consistency, which is topped on warm or cold milk to create a delicious cafe-style drink.
What is Dalgona Matcha Latte?
To follow up with the ever-growing trend, this recipe has been created for non-coffee drinkers and/or matcha lovers, by simply replacing the ingredients to create a matcha version that has the same consistency. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Egg white, to be whipped to create the fluffy foam – similar to making meringue
- Sugar, to be boiled with water to create a syrup
- Matcha powder, to be mixed into the foam as the final step
- Milk to serve, which can be substituted with almond or soy milk
Decorating tips for the aesthetic
If you want to elevate the aesthetic of the drink, there are many ways you can make it look pretty for that picture-perfect Instagram shot. For Dalgona Coffee, I have used a piping bag to create big swirls on top of the milk. For this matcha version, I took one extra step to insert a drop flower decorating tip to create a pattern that resembles a field of mini meringues.
To do so, I have topped the milk with enough matcha foam to create an even surface, and then piping all around the surface to create a beautiful floral pattern. The best part about this latte is that it allows you to be creative with the design, to truly upgrade your homemade drink to treat yourself or your loved ones. If you do make a creative design, please tag me @cookerru or #cookerru on Instagram, as I absolutely love seeing your creations!
This recipe is delightfully easy and only takes 10 minutes to make, and definitely worth the little bit of extra preparation to elevate your homemade drink. I hope you all enjoy this recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions. Stay safe everyone! ♡
Other homemade drink recipes you may like:
- Brown Sugar Dalgona Milk Tea
- Dalgona Whipped Coffee
- Sweet Potato Latte
- Easy Homemade Iced Coffee
- Taro Bubble Tea Milkshake
Dalgona Matcha Latte
- 1 cup milk can be substituted with almond or soy milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp sugar can be adjusted based on sweetness preference
- 1 egg white or 2 tbsp aquafaba
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and boil for about 5-6 minutes form a syrup base. Keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, add the egg white and mix on high with a hand mixer for about 3-4 minutes, until soft peaks form and it reaches a frothy consistency.
- Slowly add the warm syrup into the egg mixture while continuously mixing. Mix in matcha powder.
- In a serving cup, add milk (warm or cold based on preference) and top with the matcha foam. Enjoy!