This Easy Shrimp Pad Thai can be made under 20 minutes using simple ingredients, to satisfy your cravings in the comfort of your home. Each bite is packed with shrimp, vegetables, scrambled eggs, and rice noodles all wrapped around a flavorful sauce, which makes for an incredibly satisfying meal. Make this quick and delicious recipe today, without the trip to a restaurant!
What is Pad Thai?
Pad Thai is a stir-fry dish made with rice noodles, with common ingredients that include shrimp, chicken, or tofu, bean sprouts, scrambled eggs, topped with chopped peanuts. Being a popular street food item in Thailand, it has quickly become one of the most popular dishes at Thai restaurants around the world.
Growing up in a small town, there was one local Thai restaurant that my family would go to named Ben Thanh, which was easily one of our favorite restaurants to visit as a family. We would often choose between Pho and Pad Thai, but my preferred choice was most often their Shrimp Pad Thai, as the dish was so delightfully flavorful and satisfying. Shrimp Pad Thai is definitely one of my favorite dishes of all time, in which I often make fresh at home for myself and my guests.
The recipe that I’ve developed tastes closest to the dish I grew up on, in which the sauce is made with a base of ketchup, fish sauce, and peanut butter. It tastes similar to most take-out joints in North America, and the sweet-savory-sour sauce is an absolute delight to your taste buds.
How do you make Easy Shrimp Pad Thai?
I’m in absolute favor of easy recipes during the week, and this is a dish that I make very often to treat myself in the dinnertime, as well as for my weekly meal prep. It requires only a few simple ingredients, and the process is so simple and quick despite its delicious taste. Here are the 5 main ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Thai flat rice noodles, similar to this kind
- Large shrimp, deveined and peeled
- Garlic, bean sprouts and green onions
You can add more vegetables if you’d like, but bean sprouts and green onions perfectly supplement this recipe. Other popular additions include red bell pepper, carrots, and onions. Most of all, the highlight of this recipe is the flavorful sauce that will wrap all the ingredients together to create a perfect balance of flavor. Here are the following ingredients you will need for the homemade Pad Thai sauce:
- brown sugar
- crushed red pepper flakes
- oyster sauce, which can be substituted with soy sauce if needed
- fish sauce
- peanut butter
Simple, right? Those are the only ingredients you will need to make an incredibly delicious dish of Shrimp Pad Thai. To garnish, you can also add some chopped peanuts and cilantro, and/or lime wedges to give it an extra kick.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Thai Crab Fried Rice
- Chicken Katsu Curry
- Easy Chicken Teriyaki
- Simple Sukiyaki Beef Udon
- One Pan Chicken Chow Mein
Easy Shrimp Pad Thai
- 5 oz rice noodles prepared according to package instructions
- 10-12 (1/2 lb) large shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes adjust based on preferred spicy level
- 1 1/2 tsp oyster sauce or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp peanut butter
To serve (optional)
- cilantro and peanuts chopped
- lime wedges
- Prepare rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and quickly rinse with cold water over a colander to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste and set aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine all sauce ingredients together to prepare for stir-frying.
- Cook the shrimp in a lightly oiled skillet on medium heat, stirring until cooked through and the color turns pink, for about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and stir-fry until it begins to caramelize and turn light brown. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same preheated skillet, lightly oil the surface, crack the eggs and cook and scramble until cooked through. Add the bean sprouts, shrimp, and sauce in order. When all ingredients are combined, toss in the prepared rice noodles and thoroughly coat it with the mixture.
- Stir in green onions and remove from heat. Serve immediately with chopped cilantro, peanuts, and slices of lime on the side based on preference. Enjoy!