This quick & easy egg fried rice comes together in minutes using a handful of ingredients, making it the ultimate comfort food for the weekdays. Prepared in a single wok, this chinese egg fried rice is incredibly flavorful and pairs well with any dish to elevate your dinner table with minimal effort.
What is egg fried rice?
Chinese egg fried rice (蛋炒饭) is the most classic form of fried rice that calls for common ingredients such as eggs, rice, soy sauce, and green onions to create a dish that is delightfully simple yet so irresistibly delicious.
It’s a no-fuss meal that is quick and affordable to make on any given day, and one that requires minimal cleanup and effort despite its satisfying outcome.
For these reasons, Chinese fried rice with eggs is one of my all time favorite dishes to make during the week, especially on days when I am running on a busy schedule.
Although there are many different recipes on how to make egg fried rice, my version stays true to the classic rendition in using simple and accessible ingredients to make the most flavorful fried rice in the comfort of your home.
Despite its simplicity, this fried rice recipe can be also be easily modified based on the ingredients you have on hand.
To add extra protein, you can add chicken, shrimp, beef, pork, tofu, bacon, crab, or Lap Cheong (Chinese sausage) into the mix, or even add more veggies such as carrots, onions, corn, peas, bell pepper, or zucchini.
There are many ways to modify the dish to your liking, but I personally appreciate the original as it uses just the right amount of aromatics and seasonings in creating a dish that is light and delicate yet loaded with wonderful flavors.
What do I need to make egg fried rice?
As mentioned above, one of the best parts about this egg fried rice recipe is its simplicity, both in its execution and the list of ingredients.
Here are all the required ingredients for egg fried rice:
- Cooking oil: any neutral oil with a high smoke point such as vegetable oil, canola oil, avocado oil, and corn oil will work for this recipe.
- Eggs: to be lightly beaten and scrambled.
- Cooked rice: day-old rice works best for this recipe, which is rice that is cooked and stored in the fridge overnight.
- Preparing the rice in advance helps to dry the grains out enough to give your fried rice the most ideal texture and prevents it from getting mushy during the cooking process.
- Alternatively, you can also use freshly cooked rice by placing it uncovered in the fridge for about 20 minutes to chill the rice, prior to using it in your stir fry.
- Long or medium grain white rice is ideal when making fried rice as the rice is less likely to clump together in the stir fry. Some of the best types include Chinese or Korean medium-grain rice, or jasmine rice if you prefer your rice to be more fluffy in texture.
- Garlic + green onion: for the aromatics.
- Soy sauce, oyster sauce, white (or black) pepper, and sesame oil: to season the rice.
And that’s it! All the ingredients you need for your own batch of egg fried rice.
How to make egg fried rice
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Pour in beaten eggs and lightly scramble, moving your spatula in an inward motion to gently distribute the egg mixture. Transfer back into the bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and oil into the same wok. Add garlic and white parts of green onion and cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds. Add rice and mix to combine, ensuring the grains are evenly separated.
- Add the eggs, soy sauce, and oyster sauce, and mix to combine. Finish with sesame oil, white pepper, and reserved green onion, and remove from heat. Serve immediately and enjoy!
What do you serve with egg fried rice?
Chinese egg fried rice is incredibly versatile in nature, which makes it easy to serve alongside any dish that you choose to pair it with.
Asian dishes that are bold in flavor such as Mapo Tofu, Mongolian Chicken, Black Pepper Beef, and Chicken Katsu are all very complementary to fried rice, and can be made in less than 30 minutes while preparing your rice.
However, if you are running very short on time or simply feeling too lazy, you can also prepare this dish alongside Silken Tofu or Korean Cucumber Salad, which are both no-cook recipes that can be made in less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
Although this simple egg fried rice can be paired with practically any dish of your choice, it also makes for an incredible meal on its own when served alongside a plate of kimchi, or with a generous drizzle of chili oil to further heighten its flavors.
If you are not a fan of spice however, the deep aromas of garlic and green onion coupled with the umami from the soy sauce and oyster sauce will be more than enough to satisfy your tastebuds.
No matter how you serve it, Chinese fried rice with eggs is so incredibly delicious and so easy to make, it will instantly become one of your go-to recipes for the weekdays.
It’s also a meal that is light enough to be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or even as a side to complement your main dishes, making it the perfect no-brainer meal that you can quickly prepare for all different types of of occasions.
I hope you enjoy this easy egg fried rice recipe, and and as usual, please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram with any questions you may have. Happy cooking everyone! 💛
Other easy Dinner recipes that you may like:
- 10-Minute Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- Easy 15-Minute Mapo Tofu
- Easy Mongolian Chicken
- 5-Minute Silken Tofu (Soft Tofu)
- Bulgogi Beef Udon Stir Fry
10-Minute Egg Fried Rice
- 3 tbsp cooking oil divided
- 3 large eggs beaten with a pinch of salt
- 2 cups (500g) cooked rice see notes below
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 green onion chopped, divided
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp white pepper or black pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Pour in beaten eggs and lightly scramble, moving in an inward motion to gently distribute the egg mixture. Transfer back into the bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 tablespoon of oil into the same wok. Add garlic and white parts of green onion and cook until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
- Mix in the rice while breaking it up with a spatula, ensuring the grains are evenly separated. Add the cooked eggs, soy sauce, and oyster sauce, and mix well to combine.
- Add sesame oil, white pepper, and reserved green onion to finish, and remove from heat. Serve immediately and enjoy!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!
So simple and delicious!!
best rice ever! simple and delicious!
made it with our leftover rice and had kimchi
on the side!
Literally the best fried rice I have ever had.