Loaded with caramelized onions, melted cheese, and creamy scrambled eggs all wrapped together in buttery brioche buns, this breakfast sandwich the ultimate way to elevate your morning. This is a copycat recipe of the iconic Eggslut chain and their most popular sandwich, the Fairfax.
What is the Fairfax Sandwich and where did it originate?
Eggslut, based in Los Angeles, California, is a popular food chain founded by chef Alvin Cailan with locations now spanning across the globe. They are known for their egg-based sandwiches, which the iconic name indicates.
The most notable elements of their sandwiches are the buttery brioche buns, as well as the soft slow-cooked scrambled eggs that are blended into the melted cheese, that instantly melts in your mouth in each bite.
I had the opportunity to try out these sandwiches in their location in Seoul, South Korea, and was immediately blown away. Eggslut and Eggdrop, which still holds itself to be one of the most popular recipes on my blog, were both incredibly popular in Korea, but with their own unique flavor notes.
The Fairfax Breakfast Sandwich
The recipe I will be sharing with you today is for their most popular menu item, the Fairfax sandwich. As their official website indicates, it consists of “cage-free soft scrambled eggs and chives, cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and sriracha mayo in a warm brioche bun”. Truly heaven in a sandwich.
This sandwich is truly the perfect blend of sweet and savory, where the natural sweetness of the caramelized onions and soft and creamy scrambled eggs come together to create a magical flavor combination.
The sriracha mayo and the cheese then add to the rich and savory taste, which is then wrapped together in brioche buns toasted with butter.
How do you make the Fairfax Breakfast Sandwich?
Making this sandwich is incredibly easy, and will yield you one of the best breakfast sandwiches that you have ever tried! Here are the simple ingredients you will need:
- Yellow onion, to be caramelized to golden perfection
- Eggs and chives, to be scrambled slowly with butter into soft creamy goodness
- Cheddar cheese, to be melted into the eggs to create the perfect savory bond
- Sriracha and mayo, to be mixed in a 1:2 ratio
- Brioche bun, to be sliced in half and toasted with butter
These ingredients are all you need to make the perfect breakfast sandwich, just as you would have it at the iconic Eggslut restaurant. All the deliciousness made in the comfort of your home!
Tips to make the best Fairfax Breakfast Sandwich
Set aside enough time to caramelize the onions.
Caramelization is a process to slowly cook onions over a long period of time to let the natural sugars in the onions caramelize. The result is an intensely flavorful batch of caramelized onions, which can be used to garnish a variety of dishes like sandwiches, burgers, soups, steaks, and salads.
Feel free to double or triple the portion in case you want to store a batch for future use. They can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 3 months to upgrade your dishes.
Prepare room-temperature butter.
This is the key component to this recipe, which will be used to caramelize the onions, scramble the eggs, as well as toast the brioche buns to a light golden finish. Having your butter dish available throughout your cooking session will be very useful.
Slowly scramble the eggs on low heat, while stirring continuously.
One of the highlights of this recipe is the slow-cooked scrambled eggs that have that soft melt-in-your-mouth texture. Keep a close eye on your eggs and be careful not to overcook.
Enjoy it fresh while it’s hot!
This sandwich does not microwave well unless you want a soggy, sad sandwich. You could make the caramelized onions in advance, but I suggest serving everything fresh to achieve the ideal texture.
Brew your tea or coffee in advance to sit back and enjoy the sandwich once it’s completed! Good company is always a good addition.
Other easy Brunch recipes you may like:
- Shakshuka (Eggs in Hell)
- Strawberry Sando (Japanese Fruit Sandwich)
- Classic Eggs Benedict
- Korean Egg Drop Sandwich
- Ultra Moist Banana Bread
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions!
Fairfax Breakfast Sandwich (Eggslut Copycat)
To caramelize the onion:
- In a skillet on medium heat, add cooking oil and sliced onions. Add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of butter and mix into the onions, spreading them in a single layer. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and lightly golden. Add water to de-glaze the pan, and cook until the onions are fully caramelized. Keep warm.
To scramble the eggs:
- Add 3 eggs into an unheated skillet, and use a spatula to scramble the eggs until well blended. Add a tablespoon of butter and place the skillet on medium-low heat, stirring continuously to cook. Add a pinch of salt and chives, and cook until the eggs just start to set. Remove from heat and keep warm.
To make the sauce:
- In a small bowl. combine the Sriracha and mayonnaise in a 1:2 ratio. Mix well.
- Toast the brioche bun with butter and spread the sriracha mayo on both sides. Top with scrambled eggs. Melt the cheese slightly on a nonstick pan and place it on top of the eggs. Top with 1-2 tablespoons of caramelized onion and enjoy!