This easy homemade cajun seasoning brings together your favorite spices to make the perfect blend of savory, spicy, and zesty flavors to elevate any dish to the next level.
Easy homemade cajun seasoning!
If you’re a fan of bold flavors in your food, there are a few essential ingredients you MUST have in your kitchen, and cajun spice mix is for sure on top of the list.
Originating from Louisiana and rooted in Cajun cuisine, cajun seasoning mix is the perfect blend of flavor enhancing spices and herbs with a kick of heat.
Its versatility and bold flavors make it one of my favorite spice mixes to use in my kitchen, and best of all, it only takes 5 minutes and a set of measuring spoons to make at home using ingredients that are commonly found in your pantry.
Although store-bought cajun seasoning can seem convenient to purchase, it is expensive and often contain preservatives in order to extend the shelf life of the product.
Making your own cajun seasoning mix is not only delightfully easy, it is a brilliant spice blend that goes well with just about everything from chicken to seafood, veggies, soups, stir fries, or sauces to elevate its flavors and give it that extra kick.
The possibilities are truly endless with this one, and it surely opens up a lot of creative ideas in the kitchen!
What do I need to make homemade cajun seasoning?
This cajun spice recipe calls for 8 commonly used spices to make the perfect blend of flavors to amplify your dishes.
Please note that the ratio of ingredients can be altered to your own taste, as well as to control the heat and sodium level to cater to your preference. Here are all the ingredients you will need:
- Garlic powder + onion powder: for the aromatics.
- Oregano + thyme: for the earthy and peppery notes. Please feel free to replace this with Italian seasoning if that’s all you have at hand.
- Paprika + cayenne: for the heat. Both sweet and smoked paprika will work for this recipe. To adjust the heat level, you can simply adjust the amount of cayenne to your own personal taste.
- Salt + black pepper: I’ve included salt in my mix so that it can be used on its own, but please feel free to leave it out if you prefer to add it separately to taste.
And that’s it! Simply mix all these spices together in a bowl and you have yourself your own cajun seasoning mix to be used up to 1 year.
What are some ways I can use my cajun spice mix?
The possibilities are endless with this one as the flavors are quite versatile, but here are some ideas on different ways you can use your cajun seasoning mix:
Sprinkle over chicken, seafood or beef with a dash of oil before cooking them on a pan or a grill. Cajun chicken seasoning is has become very popular in the recent years, and I can attest that it is truly a wonderful combination.
Toss with your vegetables before roasting it in the oven, or use it in any of your stir-frying sessions to add flavor. This cajun spice recipe goes particularly well with potatoes – and I love tossing them with my batch of fries to give them that extra kick of flavor.
Add it to your homemade sauces! Cajun seasoning mix is the perfect addition to any of your pasta sauces, gravies, or dips, even guacamole!
On top of these ideas, there are countless recipes that call for cajun spice mix including seafood boils, which you are now ultimately prepared for!
I hope you enjoy this easy cajun spice recipe, and as usual, please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram with any questions you may have. Happy cooking everyone!
Other easy recipes you may like:
- Crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs
- 15-Minute Shrimp Rose Pasta
- Dakdoritang (Spicy Korean Chicken Stew)
- Stir Fried Bulgogi Udon Noodles
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- 3 tbsp paprika regular or smoked
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder adjust to your desired heat level
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients in a bowl mix to combine. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to 1 year.
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!
Used this on my roasted potatoes today and they were an absolute hit! Thank you for always sharing your wonderful recipes.
very well explained. not yet tried but il will be very soon.
Love love love this seasoning. I use it on everything!