This easy Korean egg drop sandwich brings together fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp pieces of bacon, and melted cheddar cheese all wrapped together in a buttery toast drizzled with sweet creamy sauce. Indulge in this scrumptious egg sandwich today and get a taste of Seoul in the comfort of your home!
What is Egg Drop?
Egg Drop (에그드랍) is a popular breakfast franchise in South Korea, which has gained global attention as a viral sensation all over social media. They offer multiple variations of egg sandwiches with different fillings, all including fluffy scrambled eggs and their iconic sauce.
The sandwiches have an iconic visual aesthetic that has surfaced all over the Internet as they are served in a paper box with a minimalistic design, and the egg sandwiches themselves are picture-perfect.
I have tried these sandwiches myself on my last trip to South Korea and instantly fell in love with their iconic design and delicious taste. Although this sandwich has gained viral attention from all over the globe, it has yet to be expanded to counties outside of South Korea.
Rest assured, I am sharing my recipe that is as close to the real egg drop sandwich as possible, in the comfort of your own home! This has been a highly requested recipe from many of you, so I am truly excited to be sharing this easy and delicious recipe.
How do you make the Korean Egg Drop Sandwich?
The recipe I will be sharing with you is the most popular kind that is the Sweet Ham & Cheese version. Here is a list of ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Thick bread slices, preferably brioche as seen in Egg Drop restaurants, can be substituted with another kind of fluffy white bread
- Eggs, to be mixed in with milk, and a pinch of salt and sugar for the soft and creamy texture
- Cheddar cheese, to be melted into the sandwich with the heat of the scrambled eggs
- Bacon, cooked on a skillet for that perfect crispy texture. This can be substituted with your choice of meat, veggies, or slices of avocado!
- Egg drop sauce, to be made with mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk in a 2:1 ratio. Sriracha for the optional spice.
If you prefer a different variation, you can maintain the standard base of buttery toast, scrambled eggs, and the signature sauce, while substituting the other toppings with ham, avocado, or even double the fillings to make your rendition of the sandwich.
The highlight of this recipe is the sweet creamy sauce and fluffy scrambled eggs, which is a heavenly combination on its own!
Tips and tricks on making the best egg drop sandwich
After making this recipe a few times, there are a few essential tips to perfect your egg drop sandwich. Here are a few important tips:
- Make sure the eggs are mixed thoroughly with milk and a pinch of salt sugar and blended well before adding it to the skillet. I recommend using a whisk or a pair of chopsticks to blend all the ingredients. If you want to take an extra step to ensure the ultra-soft consistency, you can also run the egg mixture through a mesh strainer to filter out the chalazae and other impurities.
- Use a spatula to repeatedly scramble the eggs in an outward-inward motion on medium-low heat. Remove from heat as soon as the eggs just starting to set, being careful to maintain the soft texture without over-cooking.
- Assemble the sandwich in the order of bread slice with the sauce, cheddar cheese, and slices of bacon, to have the scrambled eggs melt the cheddar cheese.
- The sandwich is best served fresh with hot fillings, so work through each step quickly to ensure a fresh steamy egg sandwich!
This easy recipe calls for simple ingredients to make the best fluffy egg sandwich for you to indulge in, all without the trip to Seoul!
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions!
Other Korean recipes you may like:
- Korean Marinated Eggs (Mayak Eggs)
- Bibim Guksu (Korean Spicy Cold Noodles)
- Korean Shrimp Burger
- Tteokbokki (Korean Spicy Rice Cakes)
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
Korean Egg Drop Sandwich
- 4 thick slices white bread preferably brioche
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp milk
- pinch of salt, sugar
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 slices bacon can be substituted with your choice of meat, veggies, or avocado
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- parsley flakes for garnish
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly butter a skillet on medium-low heat, and toast both sides of the bread.
- Cook the bacon until the edges are crispy and cooked through. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, milk, sugar, and salt until blended thoroughly. In a skillet on medium-low heat, add butter to coat the surface. Add the egg mixture, stirring continuously to cook until it just starts to set. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Spread the sauce on the inward sides of each toast. Add melty cheddar cheese, scrambled eggs, and bacon. Serve immediately and enjoy!