This Korean Egg Drop Sandwich brings together fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp pieces of bacon, and melted cheddar cheese all wrapped together in a buttery toast drizzled with sweet creamy sauce. This is a copycat recipe of the ever-popular Egg Drop franchise in South Korea. Indulge in this scrumptious egg sandwich today and get a taste of Seoul in the comfort of your home!
What is Egg Drop?
Egg Drop (에그드랍) is a popular breakfast franchise in South Korea, which has gained global attention as a viral sensation all over social media. They offer multiple variations of egg sandwiches with different fillings, all including fluffy scrambled eggs and their iconic sauce. The sandwiches have an iconic visual aesthetic that has surfaced all over the Internet as they are served in a paper box with a minimalistic design, and the egg sandwiches themselves are picture-perfect.
I have tried these sandwiches myself on my last trip to South Korea, and instantly fell in love with their iconic design and delicious taste. Although this recipe has gained viral attention from all over the globe, it has yet to be expanded to counties outside of South Korea. Rest assured, I am sharing my recipe that is as close to the real egg drop sandwich as possible, in the comfort of your own home! This has been a highly requested recipe from many of you, so I am truly excited to be sharing this easy and delicious recipe.
How do you make the Korean Egg Drop Sandwich?
The recipe I will be sharing with you is the most popular kind that is the Sweet Ham & Cheese version. Here is a list of ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- Thick bread slices, preferably brioche as served in Egg Drop restaurants, but you can also substitute with another kind of soft white bread
- Eggs, to be mixed with milk, sugar, and a pinch of salt for the fluffy consistency
- Cheddar cheese slice, to be melted into the sandwich with the heat of the scrambled eggs
- Slice of bacon, fried on a skillet for that perfect crispy texture
- Two variations of sweet creamy sauce
- Mayonnaise and sweetened condensed milk
- Equal parts of mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk, and sriracha hot sauce
If you prefer a different variation, you can maintain the standard base of buttery toast, scrambled eggs, and the signature sauce, while substituting the other toppings with ham, avocado, or even double the fillings to make your rendition of the sandwich. The highlight of this recipe is the sweet creamy sauce and fluffy scrambled eggs, which is a heavenly combination on their own!
Tips and tricks on making the best egg drop sandwich
After making this recipe a few times, there are a few essential tips to perfect your egg drop sandwich. Here are a few important tips:
- Make sure the eggs are mixed thoroughly with milk, sugar, and a pinch of salt and blended well before adding it to the skillet. I recommend using a whisk to blend all the ingredients. If you want to take an extra step to ensure the ultra-soft consistency, you can also run the egg mixture through a mesh strainer to filter out the chalazae and other impurities.
- Use a small to medium spatula, and repeatedly scramble the eggs in an outward-inward motion on medium-low heat. Remove from heat as soon as the eggs are cooked through, being careful to maintain the soft texture without over-cooking.
- Spread one buttered toast slice with the creamy sauce (half reserved for the final topping) and the other with creamy sriracha sauce. If you don’t like sriracha, you can omit it altogether as well. However, I find that the garlic aroma in Sriracha complements the sandwich very well.
- Assemble the sandwich in the order of bread slice, sauce, cheddar cheese, and slices of bacon, to have the scrambled eggs melt the cheddar cheese.
- The sandwich is best served fresh with hot fillings, so work through each step quickly to ensure a fresh steamy egg sandwich!
This easy recipe calls for simple ingredients to make the best fluffy egg sandwich for you to indulge in, without the trip to Seoul! I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions!
Other Brunch recipes you may like:
- Shrimp and Egg Open Sandwich
- Fluffy Egg Salad Sandwich
- Avocado Toast with Sunny-Side-Up Egg
- Shrimp and Avocado Crostini
- Crab and Avocado Sandwich
- Smoked Salmon and Avocado Eggs Benedict
Korean Egg Drop Sandwich
- 2 thick slices of white bread preferably brioche
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cheddar cheese slice
- 1 slice of bacon
- 1 tbsp butter for toast and scrambled eggs
- parsley flakes for garnishing
Creamy Sauce (Sauce #1)
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
Creamy Sriracha Sauce (Sauce #2)
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp sweetened condensed milk
- Mix ingredients of sauce #1 and #2 in two separate bowls. Set aside.
- In a skillet, lightly butter the surface on medium-low heat, and toast each side of the bread slices.
- Cook the bacon slice until the edges are crispy and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, milk, sugar, and salt, and mix well until blended thoroughly. In a skillet on medium-low heat, add 1/2 tbsp butter and coat the surface. Add the egg mixture, and continuously scramble in an outward-inward motion until it is just cooked through, while maintaining the soft texture.
- Spread half of sauce #1 on one slice of toast, and sauce #2 on the other slice. Assemble the sandwich by adding cheddar cheese slice, scrambled eggs, bacon slices, and top with the other bread slice. Drizzle the remaining sauce #1 and parsley flakes on the top of the sandwich, and serve immediately. Enjoy!