Mango Sticky Rice is a traditional Thai dessert made with sweet sticky rice and fresh mangoes smothered in deliciously rich coconut cream. Make this refreshing dessert with a few simple steps and treat your taste buds with this easy and irresistible recipe!
What is Mango Sticky Rice?
Mango Sticky Rice, also known as khao neow mamuang (ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง), is perhaps one of Thailand’s most popular street food desserts on a global scale. It is the ultimate dessert for the warmer weather, especially when mangoes are in season.
The sweet and juicy, delicious flavor of well-ripened mango is served with coconut-infused sticky rice, which is then topped with an irresistibly delicious coconut milk topping and toasted sesame seeds.
This pure delicacy is delightfully addictive, and the perfect way to indulge in sweet, delicious mangoes that are in season. Making this dessert is easy, and a perfect way to treat your guests in the summertime. Here are a handful of ingredients you will need:
- Thai sticky rice, or glutinous rice
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, divided
- Sugar and salt
- Cornstarch, or tapioca starch to thicken the cream
- Ripe Ataúlfo mangoes (yellow mangoes)
- Toasted white sesame seeds, for garnishing
And that’s it! It’s that simple. As long as you have these ingredients on hand, making Mango Sticky Rice can be made easily in the comfort of your kitchen.
This dessert is one of my absolute favorites to enjoy to satisfy my sweet tooth. It’s such a refreshing dessert that is absolutely alluring. If you get a chance to try it, I am certain you will be hooked!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions. Happy cooking!
Other dessert recipes you may like:
- Strawberry Cream Puffs
- Ultra Moist Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vanilla Madeleines
- Easy Homemade Churro Waffles
Mango Sticky Rice
- 1 cup Thai sticky rice (glutinous rice)
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar or adjust to desired sweetness level
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 ripe Ataúlfo mangoes peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices
- toasted white sesame seeds
- Start by rinsing the rice with cold water about 3-4 times until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in cold water for at least an hour or overnight.
- Drain the rice using a sieve or a cheesecloth. Prepare the sieve over a large pot of simmering water, and steam rice for about 15 minutes or until fully cooked. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, add coconut milk, sugar, and salt, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and keep the mixture warm by placing a lid on top.
- Add the cooked sticky rice into a medium bowl, and slowly stir in the coconut mixture. Cover and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes, or until the mixture is absorbed.
Coconut cream (for topping)
- While the rice is being prepared, prepare the coconut cream. In a separate saucepan, slowly boil the remaining 3/4 cup of coconut milk (or however much is left in the can) and salt. Add corn starch, stirring until thickened, and remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- On a serving dish, add the rice and place the mangoes on top. Pour coconut cream over the mangoes and rice and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!