This no-churn Matcha ice cream requires only 3 ingredients and can be made easily in just 15 minutes. No ice cream maker needed! This homemade ice cream is rich, flavorful, and irresistibly delicious, made simply in the comfort of your home!
What is Matcha Ice Cream?
Matcha (抹茶) is a finely ground powder made from dried green tea leaves. The powdered tea is made specifically from high-quality leaves that have been shade-grown and removed of any stems or veins.
These green tea leaves are then stone-ground into a delicate fine powder, to be consumed on its own or used in a wide range of culinary dishes including baked goods, desserts, ice cream, drinks, and many others. Matcha has surely become one of the world’s greatest culinary ingredients, and one that I like to use often as well.
Amongst the many ways that Matcha can be used, one of my favorite things to make with this golden ingredient is homemade ice cream. The slight bitterness and strong flavors of Matcha balanced with the sweetness of cream is truly a heavenly combination that you will instantly fall in love with.
How do you make Matcha Ice Cream?
Forget the fancy equipment and the expensive ice cream maker. All you need to make your own batch of ice cream at home is a hand mixer (unless you’re down for an intensive arm workout), and three simple ingredients from your pantry. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Matcha powder. Similar to this kind here. You will only need two or three tablespoons depending on your desired potency, to be mixed into a paste before mixing into the cream.
- A can of sweetened condensed milk. This will create the thick base of the ice cream, while the cream is whipped to add a light, airy texture to balance out the consistency. The added sweetness of the condensed milk is also a heavenly match for ice cream.
- Two cups of heavy whipping cream, to be whipped into a thick mixture, until stiff peaks form.
These three ingredients are all you need to make an entire batch of homemade green tea or Matcha ice cream, to be paired with your favorite toppings. My go-to is chopped pistachio, but other great toppings include white chocolate, fruits, or other chopped nuts.
What’s the best way to store Matcha Ice Cream?
When your mixture is complete, you will need to store it in an airtight container and freeze for a minimum of 6 hours or longer. Any freezer-safe containers work, or you can even use a loaf pan with a food-safe plastic wrap to store the ice cream. For my video tutorial, I’ve used my glass loaf pan with a lid from OXO, as it is resistant to all temperatures.
Once stored properly, Matcha ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 weeks, although I guarantee you they will be gone in the next day or two! Prior to serving, I also recommend thawing the ice cream for about 10 minutes on the counter for easy scooping.
And there you have it, easy homemade matcha ice cream with just 3 ingredients! I’ve gotten loads of requests for this recipe, so I’m truly excited to finally share it with everyone.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions!
Other easy Dessert recipes you may like:
- Strawberry Sando (Japanese Fruit Sandwich)
- Mango Sticky Rice
- Strawberry Cream Puffs
- Ultra-Moist Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Peanut Butter Cookies
3-Ingredient Matcha Ice Cream
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp matcha powder add more if desired
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- Add the sweetened condensed milk into a bowl. Sift in the matcha powder and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the heavy cream and beat on medium speed with a hand mixer until it becomes a thick consistency. Add in the matcha paste, and whip again until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 6 hours before serving. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!