These easy pad see ew noodles feature thick rice noodles, chicken, and crisp vegetables coated in a rich, savory sauce to give you a burst of flavor in every bite. These stir-fried noodles are so quick to make yet irresistibly delicious, they will soon become your weeknight go-to!
What are Pad See Ew Noodles?
Chicken Pad See Ew is a Chinese-influenced dish that is widely popular in the streets of Thailand.
It is known for combining the Chinese technique of stir-frying noodles with the taste of Thailand – in which the harmony of the two cuisines has resulted in a beautifully crafted dish that is loved by many to this day.
The name of the thai rice noodles dish translates to “fried (with) soy sauce” (“pad” meaning fried and “see ew” meaning soy sauce) which defines the core components of the dish – stir fried noodles flavored with soy sauce as the main base.
Signified by its name, pad see ew noodles feature rice noodles stir-fried in a hot wok to achieve a slightly charred flavor, mixed in with your choice of protein (tofu, chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp), eggs, and chopped Gai Lan (Chinese Broccoli).
These fried rice noodles are especially iconic for its flavorful pad see ew sauce, which is the perfect balance of savory, sweet, and slightly tangy notes, infused with the chargrilled flavor from the caramelization of the noodles.
What do I need to make Pad See Ew Noodles?
For this recipe, I have partnered with Lee Kum Kee to feature their high-quality sauces that bring your home cooking to the next level.
I have personally used their sauces in my kitchen for many years, most notably their oyster sauce, light soy sauce, and dark soy sauce, which will all be used to make thai rice noodles.
As you may know, Lee Kum Kee has become an international household staple product in the kitchen for over a century.
Many of their sauces and seasonings are crucial in adding flavor to your dishes, especially their iconic Oyster sauce which I have used for many recipes on the blog including homemade katsu sauce, shrimp fried rice, and kimchi udon stir fry.
Lee Kum Kee’s Oyster sauce is my ultimate go-to for adding umami flavor to my dishes to make stir-fries, sauces, and noodles, and generally is used to add rich flavors to my dishes without the use of MSG or other flavor enhancers.
With that said, here are all ingredients you will need to make your own batch of pad see ew noodles:
- Wide rice noodles. Although the traditional method calls for fresh rice noodles, I am using the dried alternative as it is a more convenient option for home cooking.
- I usually have various packages of rice noodles in my pantry, in various thicknesses to alternate between different dishes.
- The rice noodles are to be cooked in boiling water before being added to the stir-fry.
- I recommend cutting down the cooking time for about 1-2 minutes, as they will be cooked again in the stir-frying process. Other kinds may call for soaking in warm water.
- Garlic, for the aromatics. I used regular vegetable oil, but feel free to use any cooking oil that you prefer.
- Skinless boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and sliced in bite-sized pieces. Please feel free to substitute this with an equal amount of tofu, chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp of your choice.
- Eggs and Chinese broccoli (Gai Lan), cut into small pieces.
- Soy sauce, dark soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar: for the sauce.
Tips & tricks to make the best Pad See Ew
Although this recipe is delightfully easy to follow, there are definitely a few tips that will help ease your cooking process. Here are some tips and tricks on making the best fried rice noodles:
Prepare your ingredients in advance including the pad see ew sauce.
Stir fry dishes are meant to be quick and seamless and preparing all components in advance will make your process a lot easier!
Cut about 1-2 minutes on the cooking time when preparing the noodles.
This will prevent overcooking as they will be cooked for the second time when mixed in with the sauce and other components.
If you prefer a more chewy texture, you can cook it for even less. Each rice noodle brand varies on its preparation method, so please be mindful of that as well.
Use a wok to ease your cooking process.
This is essential cookware to use for any stir-fry dishes, including this one. A wok distributes heat quickly & evenly on the entire surface, and the curvature allows the food to be tossed around without causing a mess.
This will also help in caramelizing the noodles as the high heat will create a delicious charred flavor as the pad see ew sauce hits the wok.
This has been without a doubt one of my most requested recipes, which made it that more exciting to share with you all.
I hope you enjoy this chicken pad see ew recipe, and please leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions!
Other quick dinner recipes you may like:
- 10-Minute Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
- 15-Minute Yaki Udon (Stir-Fried Udon Noodles)
- Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- 10-Minute Sesame Noodles (Ma Jiang Mian)
- Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
Watch how to make it:
15-Minute Pad See Ew Noodles
- 8 oz (1/2 lb) wide rice noodles fresh or dried
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz (2-3 pieces) boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed of excess fat and sliced, can be substituted with your choice of protein
- 6 oz (5-6 stalks) Chinese broccoli (Gai Lan) rinsed and cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl. Prepare rice noodles according to package instructions (cook about 1-2 minutes less than the suggested time). Rinse with cold water, drain, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add chicken and cook until nearly cooked through, for, about 2-3 minutes.
- Push everything to one side, crack in the eggs, and scramble. Add Chinese broccoli, rice noodles, and sauce.
- Toss everything together (adding more water if needed) and cook for about 1-2 minutes until the noodles are evenly coated and caramelized. Serve immediately and enjoy!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!