This shrimp and egg stir fry brings together soft scrambled eggs, succulent shrimp, and scallions in creating the ultimate comfort meal for the weekdays. Made in a single pan with a handful of ingredients, this simple and delicious meal is iconic for its savory flavors and melt-in-your-mouth texture.
What is Shrimp and Egg Stir-Fry?
Shrimp and egg stir-fry, also known as scrambled eggs with shrimp (虾仁炒蛋) is one of the most popular home-cooked dishes in Cantonese cuisine, best-loved for its easy preparation and alluring taste.
This simple and delicate dish is one of my favorite weekday meals of all time and made with similar ingredients as the tomato egg stir fry, which is another household staple in Chinese cuisine.
There’s nothing that beats a quick & easy stir-fry for busy days, and this dish brings together two of my favorite ingredients of eggs and shrimp.
The harmony of these two is absolutely divine, as the flavors and textures complement beautifully when incorporated into one dish.
The eggs are lightly folded and cooked into having a luscious, silky soft texture, and paired with savory shrimp that’s slightly crunchy on the outside, and juicy and tender on the inside.
Best of all, this dish is incredibly quick and easy to prepare and calls for easily accessible ingredients that you most likely have in your kitchen at all times.
Served over a plate of steamed rice and garnished with fresh scallions, these shrimp and eggs are truly the perfect meal that’s loaded with comfort and flavor.
To make it even better, this shrimp and egg stir fry is incredibly nutritious and packed with protein, which makes it an ideal choice to incorporate into your weekly dinner rotation.
What do I need to make Shrimp and Eggs?
Similar to tomato eggs, this dish calls for simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your kitchen. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Shrimp: peeled, deveined, and seasoned with salt, white (or black) pepper, sesame oil, and cornstarch
- Eggs: beaten and seasoned with salt to elevate its flavors
- Green onion or scallions: for garnish
- Vegetable oil (or any neutral cooking oil): for frying
And that’s it! With these simple ingredients as well as less than 10 minutes of time, you can easily whip up this delicious meal all in the comfort of your home.
How do I make the best Shrimp and Egg Stir-Fry?
This dish is one of my all-time favorites to make for busy days as it is delightfully easy to prepare and made in a single pan with minimum preparation.
First, we peel, devein, and season the shrimp with salt, white pepper, sesame oil, and cornstarch, while beating and lightly seasoning the eggs with some salt and white parts of the green onion.
Second, we heat up the oil in a wok or a frying pan on medium-high heat and cook the shrimp until they are opaque and pink, which should only take about a minute or two.
The cooked shrimp is then to be added to the egg mixture, poured back into the same smoking hot wok (with some more oil), and gently folded until the eggs are cooked into a silky soft, slightly runny texture.
To attain that perfect luscious texture, it’s important to keep the egg in one piece and not scramble too much.
The key is to wait until the bottom is set, then lightly stir around and into the center of the egg in high heat until the eggs are just set and slightly runny.
Not to worry, the eggs will continue to cook with the residual heat and will result in that perfect melt-in-your-mouth texture that’s truly heavenly.
Then you will immediately transfer the eggs onto a serving plate, to be garnished with green onions and extra sesame oil if desired.
I personally like to serve this dish over some freshly steamed rice and kimchi as it is great as a meal of its own, but it’s truly a wonderful addition to any dinner table thanks to its versatile flavors.
And that’s it! I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe as it is easily one of my favorite dishes of all time. Please leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram if you have any questions. Happy cooking!
For visual instructions, please refer to the video tutorial above (you will need to disable AdBlock if you are on your computer!).
Other easy Dinner recipes you may like:
- 10-Minute Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
- Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 10-Minute Sesame Noodles (Ma Jiang Mian)
- Soondubu Jjigae (Korean Soft Tofu Stew)
- 15-Minute Shrimp Fried Rice
10-Minute Shrimp and Egg Stir Fry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 lb (~14 large) shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of white pepper or black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch potato or tapioca starch
- 6 large eggs
- 1 green onion divided
- Add shrimp, salt, white pepper, sesame oil, and cornstarch to a bowl and mix to combine. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, and season with a large pinch of salt and white parts of green onion.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, for about 1-2 minutes. Transfer the cooked shrimp into the egg mixture.
- Add the remaining oil into the heated wok, and pour in the shrimp egg mixture. Wait a few seconds until the bottom is set, and stir lightly until the eggs are just set and slightly runny. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.