This Korean Shrimp Burger brings together panko-breaded shrimp patties, lettuce, tomato, mozzarella cheese, and homemade sauce all wrapped in buttery brioche buns. Make this shrimp burger from scratch at home in just 20 minutes, without the trip to Asia!
What is Korean Shrimp Burger?
On my visits to South Korea, one of the food items I enjoy the most is the Shrimp Burger (새우버거) sold in their local fast-food restaurants.
Experiencing localized fast food in each country truly makes up my travels, as each region has its own specialized dishes that cater to the demographic.
One of the most popular fast food items all across Asia is the shrimp burger, also known as Ebi Katsu burger in Japan. Outside of Asia however, this kind of burger is extremely rare to find, which makes it the perfect case to recreate the recipe in your home kitchen.
With travel restrictions in place, it’s become far from reality to travel around the world and experience localized foods. This has allowed me to be creative in the kitchen, to develop recipes that are similar in taste.
Everything is also made from scratch, which makes it to be even more delicious than the fast food alternatives.
Think about your favorite fast food item, but made completely fresh and catered to your own taste! The result is absolutely phenomenal, and truly the best way to satisfy your cravings.
How do you make a Shrimp Burger?
Making a shrimp burger from scratch is a lot easier than you think! The step that takes the most time is making the patty, which is not much effort at all. After that, all that’s needed is to toast the brioche buns, make the homemade sauce, then to assemble the burger to be enjoyed fresh.
Here is the list of ingredients you need:
- Shrimp Patty
- Large shrimp, half finely minced and half diced in bigger pieces for that delicious texture
- Chopped onion
- Flour and water
- Light pinch of salt and pepper
- Flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs to coat the patty
- Homemade burger sauce
- Mayonnaise, I prefer to use Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise, but regular mayonnaise works fine as well
- Chopped onions and a small pinch of pepper
- To assemble
- Chopped lettuce, iceberg lettuce used in this recipe
- Sliced tomato
- Mozerella cheese slice
- Brioche buns, lightly toasted with butter
This shrimp burger is delightfully easy to make and tastes absolutely heavenly. The patties can also be made in advance for future preparation, to be stored in the freezer for later use.
Each component of this shrimp burger is perfectly complementary, although adjustments can be made based on personal preference.
The original Shrimp Burger sold in Korean fast-food chains are typically made with just the shrimp patty, lettuce, and mayonnaise, so as long as you have those core components in place, you are good to go!
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe, and please do not hesitate to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions!
Other Korean recipes you may like:
- Korean Egg Drop Sandwich
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Korean Seafood Pancake (Haemul Pajeon)
- Korean Glass Noodle Stir-Fry (Japchae)
- Hamburg Steak with Melted Cheese
- Kimchi Fried Rice with Tuna
Korean Shrimp Burger
- 16 (180g) large shrimp half finely minced, and half diced
- 2 tbsp onion chopped
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp water to add more if needed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour to coat the patty
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- light pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise preferably kewpie
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp yellow mustard or wasabi if preferred
- 1 tbsp onion chopped
- light pinch of pepper
- 2 brioche burger buns toasted with butter
- 1/2 cup lettuce chopped
- 2 tomato slices
- 2 mozzarella cheese slices
- Prepare three separate trays with flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs.
- In a small mixing bowl, add shrimp (half minced and half diced), onion, a small pinch of salt and pepper, and mix together. Add 3 tbsp flour and a tbsp of water and combine well. Lightly wet your hands with water, and shape into patties.
- Carefully coat each patty with flour, egg, and bread crumbs in order, making sure each side is evenly coated, shaking off any excess. Set aside for 10 minutes before frying.
- Prepare at least 2 inches of oil in a large skillet (or a deep fryer) on medium heat. Once the oil reaches 350°F, cook 3 or 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove from oil, and place the mozzarella cheese slice on top to melt in the heat.
- In a small bowl, add mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, onion, and a light pinch of pepper. mix well to combine.
- Lightly toast the brioche buns with butter. Spread each burger slice with a generous amount of burger sauce. Top with lettuce, shrimp patty with cheese on top, tomato, lettuce. Serve immediately.