Crispy, juicy, tender pieces of chicken wrapped in buttery brioche buns – made to perfection in the comfort of your home! Tenderized overnight in a flavorful buttermilk marinade and topped with Sriracha mayo, this Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich will instantly blow you away with its scrumptious burst of flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Heaven in each bite ✨
Fried chicken sandwiches have always been my ultimate obsession. Popeyes, Chick-fil-A, and KFC are all widely known for their delectable sandwiches, but this homemade recipe is truly out-of-this-world delicious.
Perfectly crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside, each piece of chicken is loaded with incredible flavor that will satisfy all your fried chicken cravings! The recipe calls for a two-step process, to be soaked in a buttermilk marinade, then to be dredged in a flavorful flour mixture.
With simple pantry ingredients, the marinade and flour mixture comes together in seconds – in which all the “effort” that’s really needed is to resist your temptation and wait for the chicken to be marinated overnight. Although it requires a little bit of patience, marinating it overnight makes a world of a difference so I would highly suggest not skipping this part!
What do I need to make the Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich?
This recipe not only calls for a seamless process but requires simple ingredients and spices that are commonly found in your pantry. Here are the ingredients you will need to marinate the chicken:
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs. I recommend using the larger pieces without trimming the fat, as this will make the chicken extra juicy and tender.
- I prefer using chicken thighs over breasts for this sandwich as it results in that delicious melt-in-your-mouth texture, but feel free to use chicken breasts if you prefer a denser, more meaty texture.
- A cup of buttermilk. This is an essential ingredient to tenderize the meat while making it extra flavorful.
- Buttermilk can be commonly found in grocery stores, but in case they are not available, I recommend mixing a cup of whole milk with 1-2 tablespoons of white vinegar or lemon juice. Stir these ingredients together and set aside for 10-15 minutes and the milk will slightly curdle, giving it a buttermilk-like taste and texture.
- Sriracha, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to add flavor to the buttermilk.
And for that special moment of preparing the ultimate sandwich:
- Flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder to be chicken to be dredged in. If you prefer a less spicy version, you can skip or reduce the cayenne powder.
- Sriracha and mayonnaise to make the burger sauce.
- Brioche buns, lightly toasted with butter. I highly suggest using brioche as it truly adds that☁️ heavenly☁️ touch that your tastebuds deserve.
- Your choice of toppings. I added sliced pickles, tomato, and lettuce for this recipe, but feel free to adjust based on your preference!
- And of course, cooking oil to fry the chicken! I recommend using a deep fryer, or a deep cast-iron pan to ensure the oil is heated evenly. Here is my casserole that I used in the video.
Important tips and tricks!
This recipe calls for a simple method, but there are a few key tips to truly bring your sandwich to the next level. Here are some helpful tips for your cooking process:
- Marinate the chicken overnight for best results!
- This will bring out the maximum amount of flavor in your chicken and tenderize the meat to have that glorious melt-in-your-mouth texture. If you are running low on time, I would suggest marinating the chicken for at least 4 hours in the buttermilk mixture.
- Mix in some of the buttermilk marinade into the flour mixture.
- I like to add about 2 tablespoons of the mixture and whisking it in with a fork, to create the extra-crunchy pieces for the coating. Press the flour mixture firmly onto both sides of the chicken, to ensure the entire surface is well-coated.
- Fry the chicken at 350˚F (180˚C) until golden brown, ensuring to flip it halfway.
- Depending on the size of the chicken, it will take about 3-4 minutes on each side to cook to perfection. The thickest part of the chicken should register 165˚F (75˚C) and should have a golden brown and crispy exterior. I used my beloved cast iron casserole which always comes in handy for my deep-frying endeavors.
- I suggest frying one or two pieces at a time, as this will help maintain the temperature the entire way.
- Be creative with your toppings.
- My personal preference is to add a slice of tomato, garlic dill pickles, and lettuce, but the choice is all yours. Feel free to add any of your favorite toppings, you really can’t go wrong with this!
- Brioche, brioche, brioche!
- Regular burger bun is alright, but using brioche buns in this recipe truly brings it to the NEXT LEVEL. Buttery soft brioche with a hint of sweetness truly adds that heavenly factor to the fried chicken. I recommend toasting it with a dash of butter before assembling the sandwich. Be careful not to burn them as they are super delicate!
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions!
Other quick dinner recipes you may like:
- 10-Minute Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
- Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 15-Minute Pad See Ew
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- 15-Minute Creamy Shrimp Pasta
- Korean Marinated Eggs (Mayak Eggs)
Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken thighs pounded to even thickness
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce
- 1 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- cooking oil for frying
- 4 brioche buns lightly toasted with butter
- lettuce, tomato, pickles sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, Sriracha, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add chicken thighs and marinate overnight, or at least for 4 hours.
- Prepare the flour mixture by whisking together flour, cornstarch, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne powder in a shallow bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of the marinade into the mixture and mix through with a fork. Working with one piece at a time, dredge the chicken with the flour mixture, making sure it is completely coated.
- In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing together Sriracha and mayonnaise.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan until it reaches 350˚F (180˚C). Fry the chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and golden brown. The thickest part of the chicken should register 165˚F (75˚C).
- Generously spread the Sriracha mayo on the toasted brioche buns, and top with sliced pickles, lettuce, and tomato. Serve immediately and enjoy!