This Sukiyaki Beef Udon is made with a delicious combination of marinated sliced beef, udon noodles, soft-boiled egg, fish cake skewer, mushrooms, topped with scallions. This comforting dish can be made easily with Mentsuyu sauce and makes for the perfect meal for the colder weather.
Sukiyaki Beef Udon
Udon noodles are one of my favourite ingredients to cook with at home, not only due to their delicious texture but their versatility in flavour based on different toppings and/or sauces.
This recipe is based on the classic soup-based udon noodles, topped with one of my favourite combinations of toppings. It’s also one of my go-to comfort dishes to make that is incredibly easy to make with simple ingredients that are readily available in my home kitchen.
Tips for easy cooking
Here are some tips to help you speed up the cooking process:
- Marinate the sliced beef before you prepare the other ingredients. For easy preparation, I like to use a few tablespoons of Korean BBQ Marinade that I’ve bought from the Korean grocery store. You can also use soy sauce, or even salt and pepper to add a bit more flavour to the beef. The soup base is already flavourful, so feel free to skip this step if you need to, but I recommend it for the extra rich flavour!
- Add vinegar and salt to the pot of water used to boil the eggs, as soft-boiled eggs are a little bit harder to peel off, and this will help to seamlessly peel them without breaking the yolk.
- Quickly defrost the Korean fish cake by running it under warm water, to loosen the texture to put through a wooden skewer. When cooking, ensure the fish cakes are sunk in the soup base to add flavour.
- Add the egg and scallions after the dish has been plated, for a finishing touch. This will help retain the shape of the egg but also helps with visual preparation.
Hope you enjoy this recipe, and please leave me a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions you might have!
Other easy Dinner recipes you may like:
- Stir-Fried Bulgogi Udon Noodles
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- 15-Minute Pad See Ew (Thai Stir-Fried Noodles)
- Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 10-Minute Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta (Korean Rosé Pasta)
Simple Sukiyaki Beef Udon
- 1 serving udon noodles frozen or fresh
- 1 sheet Korean fish cake
- 3 mushrooms sliced
- 1/3 cup Mentsuyu soup base
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 large egg
- 40 g sliced thin beef rib eye
- 1 scallion chopped
- Korean bbq marinade optional
- Insert vinegar and salt to a small pot and bring to boil. Add egg and boil for 7-8 minutes for soft-boiled texture. Let sit in cold water while preparing other ingredients.
- Marinade beef rib eye with Korean BBQ marinade or soy sauce if needed.
- Run Korean fish cake through warm water to defrost. Fold in half and stick through a wooden skewer.
- In a medium pot, insert Tsuyu soup base and water and bring to boil. Insert fish cake skewer, sliced mushrooms, marinated beef rib eye, and udon noodles. Reduce heat to medium and boil for about 3 minutes. Pour into a prepared soup bowl and garnish with chopped scallions and sliced eggs. Serve right away with your choice of side (pickled radish or kimchi are my personal favorites!)