Tomato Egg Stir Fry is a simple yet delicious dish that can be made in just 10 minutes! This satisfying dish combines tomatoes and soft scrambled eggs in a sweet and savory sauce. Served alongside a bowl of steamed rice, this dish is the ultimate comfort meal for any occasion.
The ultimate meal for the busy days
Tomatoes and eggs are truly a match made in heaven. There are many dishes that incorporate these two golden ingredients, but my personal favorite way to cook this combination is this exact dish.
This stir fry dish is easily one of my favorite dishes in Chinese cuisine, and one that I make often throughout the week as it is light enough to be served as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Its flavor notes and scrumptious texture is so satisfying and addicting, and I guarantee that you will be hooked on the first bite as I did!
This dish incorporates juicy tomatoes and soft scrambled eggs, fragranced with garlic and green onion, which is then coated in a sweet and savory sauce that perfectly complements a bowl of fresh rice.
One of the best parts of this recipe is its simplicity, as it can be made within a few minutes in a single wok. Who doesn’t like having fewer dishes to manage? Especially for the busy weekdays, this is my go-to recipe, as it is perfectly satisfying and comforting to serve on its own.
Not to mention, this dish is packed with nutrients and definitely is one of the healthy dishes that taste just as amazing as those guilty pleasures. Truly heaven on a plate!
How do you make Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry?
This recipe is close to the authentic recipe but simplified to call for the critical components only, without sacrificing the taste. Here is a simple list of ingredients you will need:
- Eggs and tomatoes, which are the main components of this recipe
- Green onion and garlic to add flavor and fragrance to the dish
- Ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, and salt to season the dish
And that’s it! With these simple ingredients handy as well as a few minutes, you can make this dish easy to serve right away to fulfill your cravings.
Cooking tips and tricks
Although this recipe is so easy to follow, there are definitely a few tips that will help ease your cooking process. Here are some tips and tricks on making the best Tomato and Egg Stir Fry:
- Prepare your ingredients in advance, prior to heating up the wok. Stir fry dishes are meant to be quick and seamless and preparing all components in advance will make your process a lot easier!
- If you prefer the tomatoes to be extra tender, you can optionally peel the skin by cutting a small cross on each tomato and boiling them for about a minute. Transfer them into a bowl of cold water, and the skin will easily peel off.
- I highly recommend using a non-stick wok like this to ease your cooking process.
- This is an essential cookware to use for any stir-fry dishes, including this one. A wok distributes heat very evenly on the entire surface, and the curvature allows the food to be tossed around without causing a mess.
To see all the kitchen tools and tableware I use on a daily basis, I’ve recently listed an updated list of my kitchen tools and gadgets, which you can check them out here.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions. Happy cooking!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- Kimchi Fried Rice with Tuna
- Easy Shrimp Pad Thai
- One Pan Chicken Chow Mein
- Kimchi Udon Noodle Stir Fry
- Thai Crab Fried Rice
- Easy Chicken Teriyaki
Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- 5 large eggs
- pinch of salt and white pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil divided
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 green onion chopped and divided
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl and add a pinch of salt and white pepper. Mix well.
- Prepare a wok over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and add the beaten eggs. Stir and cook until the eggs are just set, trying not to break the eggs too much. Transfer the eggs back into the bowl, and quickly wipe out the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil into the empty wok. Add garlic and half of the green onion (white parts) and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, followed by ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, and salt, and cook until the tomatoes are softened. about 1-2 minutes. Add the cooked eggs and mix everything together until evenly coated. Top with the reserved green onions, and serve over steamed rice.