This Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry is a simple yet delicious dish that can be made in minutes with a single pan! This satisfying dish combines tomatoes and soft scrambled eggs in a sweet and savory sauce. Served alongside a bowl of steamed rice, this dish is the ultimate comfort meal for any occasion.
What is Tomato Egg Stir Fry?
Tomatoes and eggs are truly a match made in heaven. There are many dishes that incorporate these two golden ingredients, but my personal favorite way to cook this combination is this exact dish.
This tomato egg stir fry (番茄炒蛋) is easily one of my favorite dishes in Chinese cuisine, and one that I make often throughout the week as it is light enough to be served as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
The flavor notes and scrumptious textures of this dish are so satisfying and addicting, and I guarantee that you will be hooked on the first bite as I did!
The ultimate winner to the busy days
Chinese tomato egg incorporates juicy tomatoes and soft scrambled eggs aromatized with garlic and green onion, all coated in a sweet and savory sauce that perfectly complements a bowl of fresh rice.
One of the best parts of this recipe is its simplicity, as it can be made within a few minutes in a single wok. Who doesn’t like having fewer dishes to manage? This is my go-to quick & easy recipe for the weekdays as it is perfectly satisfying and comforting to serve on its own.
Not to mention, this Chinese egg and tomato dish is packed with nutrients and definitely is one of the healthy dishes that taste just as amazing as those guilty pleasures. Truly heaven on a plate!
What do you need to make Tomato Egg Stir Fry?
This recipe is very close to the authentic recipe but slightly simplified to call for the main components with amazing flavors. Here is a simple list of ingredients you will need:
- Tomato + eggs: as the main components of the recipe.
- Garlic + green onion: for the aromatics
- Ketchup, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, white or black pepper, and sesame oil (optional): for the sauce
And that’s it! With these simple ingredients handy as well as a few minutes, you can make this dish easy to serve right away to fulfill your cravings.
Helpful tips & tricks
Although this tomato egg recipe is so easy to follow, there are definitely a few tips that will help ease your cooking process. Here are some tips and tricks on making the best Tomato and Egg Stir Fry:
- Prepare your ingredients in advance, prior to heating up the wok. Stir fry dishes are meant to be quick and seamless and preparing all components in advance will make your process a lot easier!
- If you prefer the tomatoes to be extra tender, you can optionally peel the skin by cutting a small cross on each tomato and boiling them for about a minute. Transfer them into a bowl of cold water, and the skin will easily peel off.
- I highly recommend using a non-stick wok like this to ease your cooking process.
- This is essential cookware to use for any stir-fry dishes, including this one. A wok distributes heat very evenly on the entire surface, and the curvature allows the food to be tossed around without causing a mess.
To see all the kitchen tools and tableware I use on a daily basis, I’ve recently listed an updated list of my kitchen tools and gadgets, which you can check out here.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions. Happy cooking!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- 10-Minute Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
- Easy Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew)
- 15-Minute Shrimp Fried Rice
- Dubu Jorim (Korean Braised Tofu)
- Stir-Fried Bulgogi Udon Noodles
- Korean Tuna Pancakes (Chamchijeon)
10-Minute Tomato Egg Stir Fry (番茄炒蛋)
- Season with eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper, and beat until smooth.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring lightly until just set but still runny. Pour the eggs back into the bowl, and wipe out the pan.
- Add the remaining oil into the wok. Add garlic and white parts of green onion and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, ketchup, oyster sauce, sugar, and water, and cook until the tomatoes are softened, about 1-2 minutes. Add the eggs and stir, and add salt and sesame oil to taste. Garnish with green onions, and serve immediately.