This tomato egg stir fry is a simple yet delicious dish that can be made in minutes with a single pan! This satisfying dish combines tomatoes and soft scrambled eggs in a sweet and savory sauce. Served alongside a bowl of steamed rice, Chinese tomato egg is the ultimate comfort meal for any occasion.
What is tomato egg stir fry?
Tomatoes and eggs are truly a match made in heaven. There are many dishes that incorporate these two golden ingredients, but my personal favorite way to cook this combination is this exact dish.
This tomato egg stir fry (番茄炒蛋) is easily one of my favorite dishes in Chinese cuisine, and one that I make often throughout the week as it is light enough to be served as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
The flavor notes and scrumptious textures of this dish are so satisfying and addicting, and I guarantee that you will be hooked on the first bite as I did!
The ultimate comfort food for the weekdays
This tomato egg recipe incorporates juicy tomatoes and soft scrambled eggs aromatized with garlic and green onion, all coated in a sweet and savory sauce that perfectly complements a bowl of fresh rice.
One of the best parts of this dish is its simplicity, as it can be made in less than 10 minutes using a single pan.
I absolutely adore dishes that require minimal cleanup especially during the busy workdays, and this tomato egg stir fry always comes to save the day.
Needless to say, this is my go-to quick & easy recipe for the weekdays as it is perfectly satisfying and comforting to simply serve with a side of rice.
Not to mention, this hearty dish is packed with nutrients and definitely is one of the healthy dishes that taste just as amazing as those guilty pleasures. Truly heaven on a plate!
What do I need to make tomato egg stir fry?
This Chinese egg and tomato is very close to the authentic recipe but slightly simplified to call for the main components with amazing flavors. Here is a simple list of ingredients you will need:
- Tomato + eggs: as the main components of the recipe. I used 2 medium tomatoes and 5 large eggs, but please feel free to adjust the ratio based on your preference.
- Garlic + green onion: for the aromatics. Freshly minced garlic will yield the best results as usual.
- Ketchup, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, white (or black) pepper, and sesame oil: for the sauce. If you don’t have any oyster sauce at hand, you can substitute with the same amount of soy sauce instead.
And that’s it! With these simple ingredients as well as less than 10 minutes of time, you can easily whip up this delicious meal all in the comfort of your home.
Tips & tricks to make the best tomato egg
Although this recipe is so easy to follow, there are definitely a few tips that will help ease your cooking process. Here are some tips and tricks on making the best tomato egg:
Prepare your ingredients in advance.
I recommend getting all your prep work done prior to heating up the wok. Stir fry dishes are meant to be quick and seamless and preparing all components in advance will make your process a lot easier!
Use a large non-stick wok to ease your cooking process.
This is essential cookware to use for any stir-fry dishes, including this one. A wok distributes heat very evenly on the entire surface, and the curvature allows the food to be tossed around without causing a mess.
Peel the skin if you prefer your tomatoes to be extra tender.
This is an optional step based on personal preference, but you can easily peel the skin by cutting a small cross on each tomato and boiling them for about a minute.
Transfer them into a bowl of cold water, and the skin will easily peel off to be used in the stir fry.
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious Chinese egg and tomato recipe, and please feel free to leave a comment below or message me on Instagram for any questions. Happy cooking everyone!
Other easy dinner recipes you may like:
- Easy 15-Minute Mapo Tofu
- Oyakodon (Japanese Chicken & Egg Rice Bowl)
- 10-Minute Garlic Chili Oil Noodles
- Black Pepper Beef Stir Fry
- Yaki Udon (Stir Fried Udon Noodles)
10-Minute Chinese Tomato Egg Stir Fry
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Beat until smooth and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring lightly until just set but still runny. Pour the eggs back into the bowl, and wipe out the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of oil into the wok. Add garlic and white parts of green onion and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, ketchup, oyster sauce, sugar, and water, and cook until the tomatoes have softened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the cooked eggs and stir to combine. Add salt to taste if needed, and finish with sesame oil. Garnish with green onions, and enjoy!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!