Easy Tteokbokki (Spicy Korean Rice Cakes)
This Tteokbokki recipe features soft and chewy rice cakes smothered in an umami-packed sauce that is sweet, spicy, and irresistibly delicious in every bite. These Korean rice cakes are so easy to make yet so addictive, they will instantly become your favorite comfort food for the weekdays.
Servings: 2 people
- 3 cups anchovy stock dashi, unsalted chicken stock, or water (see notes below)
- 1 lb (450g) Korean rice cakes
- 2-3 sheets Korean fish cakes defrosted and cut into bite-sized pieces
- green onion optional, for garnish
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar or 1 tbsp for reduced sweetness
- 1 tbsp Gochugaru (Korean chili powder) adjust to desired heat level
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp honey rice syrup, oligo syrup, or your choice of liquid sweetener
- 3 tbsp Gochujang (Korean red chili paste)
Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. If your rice cakes are frozen, defrost them in warm water for 10 minutes prior to cooking.
Add stock to a large pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add rice cakes and sauce and stir to combine. Cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce is reduced, add fish cakes, and cook for another 2 minutes. Garnish and enjoy!
I highly recommend using a base of anchovy stock or dashi to create deeper flavors in the dish. You can also use unsalted chicken stock, or a 1:1 ratio of regular chicken stock and water instead. Tteokbokki is best served immediately after cooking, as the rice cakes will naturally harden as they cool down. Happy cooking everyone!
♥ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating or leave a comment below to share your experience, or tag @cookerru on Instagram to showcase your creations!